Benjamin Bennifer Martin, the founder, came to Lethbridge with his family in 1904. In 1907 he began working with T.S. Fetterly in the funeral business. Benjamin attended the Cincinnati College of Embalmers, where he studied and obtained his license. When WWI broke out, he returned to England to serve in the forces, returning to Lethbridge in 1919, where he worked once again with T.S. Fetterly. Ben’s younger brother Harry Martin came to Lethbridge in 1922 to join Ben in the funeral profession. They purchased T.S. Fetterly firm, which then became Martin Brothers, located on the corner of 4th Ave. and 6th Street South, later moving to 812-3rd Ave. South.
In 1961 Ben’s sons Derek.H.B. Martin and Dale Arthur Martin, purchased the funeral home from their father and uncle. In 1968 they began expanding and built the Memorial Chapel on the corner of 7th Ave. and 13 Street North. Derek owned the Pattison Funeral home in Medicine Hat until his passing. Martin Brothers is currently located on the corner of 6th Ave and 4 Street. South. To date Dale Sr. is Honorary President of the company while his son Dale Jr. now resides as President and Owner of Martin Brothers. 100 years and four generations have established Martin Brothers legacy in Southern Alberta.